Splinter Capitalization Guidelines
Use these guidelines to ensure consistency when writing new Splinter documentation and updating existing content.
Follow the capitalization rules for American English.
See the Google style guide word list for capitalization of standard technical terms.
For software products, companies, and brands, use the official capitalization (see the official website or check Wikipedia).
For titles and headings, follow the Chicago Manual of Style’s title rules. (Tip: Use capitalizemytitle.com and select “Chicago”.)
Capitalize the first and the last word, nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, and subordinate conjunctions (such as Because, Once, Therefore, When, and Unless).
Lowercase articles (a, an, the), coordinating conjunctions, prepositions, and the “to” in infinitive verbs.
Avoid starting a sentence or title with a lowercase term, such as Splinter commands (CLIs), daemons, and services (such as
splinterd). Instead, rewrite to start with “The” or some other word.
To form the plural of an all-uppercase term, add a lowercase “s” with no apostrophe, such as CLIs, IDs, and REST APIs.
- admin service
- API, APIs
- application auth handler (or application authorization handler)
- CLI, CLIs
- Gameroom (example application)
- gameroom (circuit in Gameroom)
gameroomd(daemon; always lowercase)
- Grid (at first use: Hyperledger Grid)
gridd(daemon; always lowercase)
- ID, IDs
- key registry (obsolete; use “registry” or “Splinter registry”)
- Merkle-Radix tree
- node registry (obsolete; use “registry” or “Splinter registry”)
- PDF (not “pdf” or “.pdf”)
- Pike smart contract
- Private Counter (obsolete; this example has been removed from Splinter)
- Private XO (obsolete; this example has been removed from Splinter)
- Product smart contract
- README, READMEs
- registry (at first use: “Splinter registry”)
- REST API
- Sabre (at first use: Hyperledger Sawtooth Sabre)
- Sawtooth (at first use: Hyperledger Sawtooth)
- scabbard service
scabbardcommand (always lowercase)
- SCAR file - smart contract archive file (not “scar file” or “.scar file”)
- Schema smart contract
- SDK, SDKs
- Seth (at first use: Hyperledger Sawtooth Seth)
- service names: admin service, scabbard service
- smart contract
splintercommand (always lowercase)
splinterRust crate (always lowercase)
splinterd(daemon; always lowercase)
- state delta export
- tic-tac-toe (with two hyphens)
- TOML file (not “toml file” or “.toml file”)
- Transact (at first use: Hyperledger Transact)
- two-phase commit protocol (or “consensus”, depending on context) (avoid “2PC”)
- WASM (at first use: “WebAssembly (WASM)”)
- XO smart contract
xoSawtooth command (always lowercase)
- YAML file, YAML format (not “yaml file” or “.yaml file”)
- ZeroMQ, ZMQ, 0MQ, ØMQ